Reverse Pyramid Workout
Explosive Power Reverse Pyramid Workout 3 Day Split
Regular pyramid training works and it’s the format I did for years starting out. I still do pyramid structure workouts.
However, if you’re looking to improve your strength (and lift heavy weight) without giving up on the higher-rep hypertrophy sets, you can flip the pyramid on its head and structure your exercises as a reverse pyramid.
Reverse pyramid flips the set structure on its head enabling you to lift more weight for your heavy sets because you do the heavy sets first.
CAUTION: When doing reverse pyramid sets, it’s especially important to warm up extensively because your first set is very heavy. Do a little cardio and one or 2 light sets so when you hit the heavy weight hard, your body is ready for it.
Sample Reverse 3-Day Split Workout…Here’s the workout (3-day split)
- Workout A: Chest, Back, Hamstrings
- Workout B: Shoulders, Triceps
- Workout C: Quads, Calves and Biceps
I put biceps on leg day so your arms are fresh for lifting (as opposed to on workout A or B days). Same thing for hamstrings paired with chest and back.
Do each work out once a week. You could do a 3 on and 2 off format if your body responds well to more frequency.
Remember: do a thorough warm-up
Workout A: Chest, Back, Hamstrings
- Bench Press: 4/6/8/10/12
- Incline DB:: 4/6/8/10/12
- Bent Over Rows: 4/6/8/10/12
- Wide-Grip Pulldowns: 4/6/8/10/12
- Lying down hamstring curls: : 4/6/8/10/12
- Straight leg deadlifts: 6/8/10
Workout B: Shoulders, Triceps
- Military Press: 4/6/8/10/12
- DB Overhead Press: 4/6/8/10/12
- Dips: 4/6/8/10/12
- Lying down tricep extensions: 4/6/8/10/12
Workout C: Quads, Calves and Biceps
- Squats: 4/6/8/10/12
- Deadlifts: 6/8/10
- Leg Extensions: 6/8/10
- Seated calf raises: 8/10/12/14/16
- Standing calf raises: 8/12/16
- Barbell Curls: 4/6/8/10/12
- Cable preacher curls: 4/6/8/10/12
For more information checkout Natural Size Muscle Building.